Thursday, September 17, 2015

Life Keeps Changing

Well, it's been almost 2 years since my last post. I have continued to cook, can, and craft in the interim. I have also completed my Associate's of Nursing degree, hence the radio silence for so long. Shortly after I passed the state boards (certifying me as an RN), we found out I am pregnant!

Pregnancy has been... interesting for me. I was very, very sick at the beginning of my pregnancy - so much so that I told work well before my first trimester was up so they didn't think I was going to get my residents sick! (I work at a nursing home, and at the time, was working 3rd shift.) I lost 20 lbs very quickly, in about 6 weeks or so, and tried a few different pregnancy-safe medications. I am now still on one, even though I am now at 25 weeks. With a little over 3 months left, I'm starting to hit freak-out mode, and working to get everything accomplished that needs doing between now and baby's arrival. We're converting the sewing room to the nursery, so all the crafting supplies are finding new homes around the house.

Our garden was planned and planted before I started getting so sick. When I started the seeds, I wasn't even pregnant yet! Our tomatoes are doing quite well, and Hubby and I worked together this summer to can up 18 pints already - nine pints crushed and nine pints halves. I did strawberry-picking in early summer and made a batch each strawberry jam with the low-sugar pectin and no pectin added. And the list goes on. We're still collecting raspberries from the garden, waiting on this year's grapes to ripen (very soon, now!), and eating and canning our way through the tomatoes. One SunSugar tomato plant is enough to keep us in cherry tomatoes with plenty to take to work or give away to friends!

We have done some fun things in the meantime - I entered quite a few entries this year in the Walworth County Fair and won several 2nd and 3rd place entries in the food categories. I went out this past Saturday to the Jefferson County Sheep and Wool Festival and had a great time with my best friend looking at all the booths and attending a free lecture and demonstration.

Suffice to say, I'm still around and planning things for this blog, but, life happens!

1 comment:

  1. Your garden's making me jealous. And hungry. Good luck with the pregnancy, sorry to hear it's making you so sick ):

    ReplyDelete